Apnalaya runs a number of Self Help Groups for women in the slum areas of Shivaji Nagar, Govandi in the M/E ward of Mumbai Municipal Corporation. The main objective is to enable slum-dwelling women to attain social empowerment by achieving economic independence. The groups also seek support from Government agencies such as Swarna Jayanti Shahari Rojgar Yojana and Mahila Arthik Vikas Mahamandal, which promote income-generating activities through subsidies and soft loans.
These women attend training sessions that focus on:
a) Building awareness about Self Help Groups (SHG’s).
b) Training women to form and run SHGs independently.
c) Linking SHGs to relevant government and other schemes.
How It Works
• Apnalaya volunteers help the women with organizing the paperwork for setting up bank accounts for the SHG members and attending meetings.
• Additionally, they organize a number of training sessions all through the year, for lessons in entrepreneurship and maintenance of financial records.
• Apnalaya also organizes visits to various other organizations for the women to gain exposure and broaden their horizons.
• The SHG’s are run completely via benefactors, who donate to Apnalaya's general causes. There is no dedicated aid to the program.
• The donations being sought, is to sustain the running of the SHG groups, to provide services to enable socio-economic empowerment of slum-dwelling women.
|Donation Option||Break-up cost in INR|
|Towards salaries/ rent/ overheads||3000.00|
You will receive a feedback report in 4-6 months
While giving is best done as an act of pure human love, we appreciate that tax benefits will help you stretch your contributions even further. Contributions to this donation option are eligible for the following tax benefits:
For Indian Tax Payers: u/s 80G of the IT Act up to 50% of your donation is deductible/u/s 35AC of the IT Act (only specified projects) 100% of your donation is deductible from your income/u/s 35(i)(ii) of the IT Act (only specified projects) 125% of your donation is deductible from your business income, and 100% of your donation is deductible from salary income.
For US Taxpayers: US Tax Payers will receive a 501(c)(3) tax receipt for their donation. Please ensure that the tax receipt field in your profile is set to US Tax Payer. Otherwise, login and modify your profile accordingly.
For UK Taxpayers:If you are a UK taxpayer, for every pound that you donate, our UK arm - GIVE UK, can reclaim 28 pence from the IRS helping your donation go further. This is known as Gift Aid. To qualify for Gift Aid, the income tax or capital gains tax you pay must at least equal the amount we will claim in the tax year. To Gift Aid donations, please ensure that the tax receipt status in your profile is set to UK Tax Payer. Otherwise, login and modify your profile accordingly. When you make a donation, you will be asked whether you would like to GiftAid the donation or not. If you choose yes, we will claim GiftAid on your behalf.