A taanka is an underground tank for harvesting rainwater as well as storing water. It is a traditional method of water storage in dry areas. It taps and stores rain water from a local catchment- natural or artificial. Gramin Vikas Vigyan Samiti provides these tanks to store water that is transported in cattle carts and /or tractors, when the catchment runs dry. Thus, the tank forms an important element of water security in arid regions of the Thar desert, as it provides great relief to the women and girls from having to fetch water everyday.
How It Works
• Each village has a village development committee, which is a unanimously elected village body. It consists of representatives from all sections of society. Therefore they have a fair idea of the general state of affairs across all sections of village society.
• The village development committee selects beneficiaries for construction of the water tanks and forwards the application to GRAVIS.
• Materials and resources are purchased at nearby local sellers to reduce the overhead cost.
• The beneficiaries help with the construction of the tanks by providing additional labor. The size and cost of the tank varies depending on the location and the size of the land owned by the beneficiaries.
• The tanks supported by GiveIndia are comparatively smaller than other tanks due to high cost of construction but very useful to families with very limited land, means and resources.
• The average water storage capacity of a tank is around 20,000 liters of water.
• A fully filled tank will be sufficient for a household of 6-7 members for a period of 5-6 months.
|Donation Option||Break-up cost in INR|
|Two 10 feet Stone slabs for covering||1200.00|
|4 stone slabs 5 feet ( Rs. 200 per slab)||800.00|
|4 stone slabs of 4 feet ( Rs. 150 per slab)||600.00|
|4 stone slabs of 3 feet ( Rs. 100 per slab)||400.00|
|4 stone slabs of 2 feet each (Rs. 50 per slab)||200.00|
|Labour for mason||3500.00|
|Cement – 12 bags||3350.00|
|Lid & mesh||400.00|
You will receive a feedback report in 4-6 months
While giving is best done as an act of pure human love, we appreciate that tax benefits will help you stretch your contributions even further. Contributions to this donation option are eligible for the following tax benefits:
For Indian Tax Payers: u/s 80G of the IT Act up to 50% of your donation is deductible/u/s 35AC of the IT Act (only specified projects) 100% of your donation is deductible from your income/u/s 35(i)(ii) of the IT Act (only specified projects) 125% of your donation is deductible from your business income, and 100% of your donation is deductible from salary income.
For US Taxpayers: US Tax Payers will receive a 501(c)(3) tax receipt for their donation. Please ensure that the tax receipt field in your profile is set to US Tax Payer. Otherwise, login and modify your profile accordingly.
For UK Taxpayers:If you are a UK taxpayer, for every pound that you donate, our UK arm - GIVE UK, can reclaim 28 pence from the IRS helping your donation go further. This is known as Gift Aid. To qualify for Gift Aid, the income tax or capital gains tax you pay must at least equal the amount we will claim in the tax year. To Gift Aid donations, please ensure that the tax receipt status in your profile is set to UK Tax Payer. Otherwise, login and modify your profile accordingly. When you make a donation, you will be asked whether you would like to GiftAid the donation or not. If you choose yes, we will claim GiftAid on your behalf.