Ma Foi Foundation runs the Disha programme & provides financial support the Swarnamal Education Trust for SHG activities and for the Sornammal Mat Hr Sec School. A number of children from this school are supported through scholarships from among the many children in the Disha programme. Apart from this MF works with a number of Municipal & Corporation schools in Chennai in a couple of districts of Tamil Nadu.
How It Works
• Students for the scholarship are identified through school, NGOs, and self help groups.
• They are administered a test usually in the month of June/July followed by a family interview.
• They are selected based on economic and social criteria.
• Most of the students are selected in Grade 8.
• These children are supported till they finish college as long as they earn good academic credentials.
• The scholarship is paid via cheque in the name of the student and in a couple of equal installments, one in June/July & the other in Jan/Feb.
• In case the child does not maintain his/her grades, drops out of school or does not attend MF training session for students, the other installment is withheld.
• As the State provides for books & school fee is very low (It might be slightly higher in case of an English medium school), some part of the scholarship is towards buying additional books/guides, a pair of uniforms etc.
• Most of the money is saved (MF asks for a bank statement every year to monitor whether money is saved or not).
• 2 – Number of districts covered by MF
• 2 – Number of installments through which scholarships are awarded to the students
• 40 – Number of Municipal and Corporation schools that MF works with in Chennai
• 120 – Number of schools covered by MF in 2 districts of Tamil Nadu
• 150 – Number of children from the Sornammal Mat Hr Sec School who are awarded scholarship
• 3000 – Total number of children in the Disha programme
|Donation Option||Break-up cost in INR|
You will receive a feedback report in 4-6 months
While giving is best done as an act of pure human love, we appreciate that tax benefits will help you stretch your contributions even further. Contributions to this donation option are eligible for the following tax benefits:
For Indian Tax Payers: u/s 80G of the IT Act up to 50% of your donation is deductible/u/s 35AC of the IT Act (only specified projects) 100% of your donation is deductible from your income/u/s 35(i)(ii) of the IT Act (only specified projects) 125% of your donation is deductible from your business income, and 100% of your donation is deductible from salary income.
For US Taxpayers: US Tax Payers will receive a 501(c)(3) tax receipt for their donation. Please ensure that the tax receipt field in your profile is set to US Tax Payer. Otherwise, login and modify your profile accordingly.
For UK Taxpayers:If you are a UK taxpayer, for every pound that you donate, our UK arm - GIVE UK, can reclaim 28 pence from the IRS helping your donation go further. This is known as Gift Aid. To qualify for Gift Aid, the income tax or capital gains tax you pay must at least equal the amount we will claim in the tax year. To Gift Aid donations, please ensure that the tax receipt status in your profile is set to UK Tax Payer. Otherwise, login and modify your profile accordingly. When you make a donation, you will be asked whether you would like to GiftAid the donation or not. If you choose yes, we will claim GiftAid on your behalf.