PRADAN was formed in 1983 by young professionals who were inspired by the belief that well educated people, with empathy towards the poor, must work directly with them at the grassroots to alleviate mass poverty in rural India. Challenged by the abysmal poverty of millions of people across India, PRADAN has resolved to reach out to a large number of poor people in the next decade as a part of its vision, PRADAN 2017.
They realized that the critical gap in creating change was the absence of capable people, not material resources. PRADAN therefore has to invest significant organizational energy to find and induct well-educated youth and to equip them with the skills, knowledge and perspective necessary to become effective grassroots workers. Today, PRADAN systematically expands the supply of quality human resources at the grassroots.
How It Works
• Highly motivated and skilled professionals under PRADAN’s fold are working in the remote villages of India, immersing themselves directly with target communities.
• These young professionals are recruited from universities and hold specialised degrees in subjects like management, engineering, agriculture, and the social sciences.
• A majority of the families that PRADAN works with belong to the Scheduled Tribes and Schedule Castes.
• PRADAN follows a four-pronged approach to achieve its goals:
1. Promoting and nurturing Self-Help Groups (SHGs) of poor women and strengthening them as organizations to leverage institutional finances for members’ livelihoods.
2. Developing and introducing locally suitable economic activities to increase productivity and income among SHG members and building synergic collaboration with a wide variety of stakeholders.
3. Mobilising finances for livelihood assets and infrastructure from government bodies, donors, banks, and other financial institutions.
4. Setting up mechanisms to sustain the livelihood gains made by the poor communities. Statistics
• 7 – Number of states that are covered by PRADAN
• 10 – Number of years by which PRADAN hopes to fulfil its vision, PRADAN 2017
• 33 – Number of teams that PRADAN professionals are divided into
• 1.5 ,million – Number of poor people whom PRADAN hopes to reach out to in the next decade
|Donation Option||Break-up cost in INR|
|Towards Corpus fund||10000.00|
You will receive a feedback report in 4-6 months
While giving is best done as an act of pure human love, we appreciate that tax benefits will help you stretch your contributions even further. Contributions to this donation option are eligible for the following tax benefits:
For Indian Tax Payers: u/s 80G of the IT Act up to 50% of your donation is deductible/u/s 35AC of the IT Act (only specified projects) 100% of your donation is deductible from your income/u/s 35(i)(ii) of the IT Act (only specified projects) 125% of your donation is deductible from your business income, and 100% of your donation is deductible from salary income.
For US Taxpayers: US Tax Payers will receive a 501(c)(3) tax receipt for their donation. Please ensure that the tax receipt field in your profile is set to US Tax Payer. Otherwise, login and modify your profile accordingly.
For UK Taxpayers:If you are a UK taxpayer, for every pound that you donate, our UK arm - GIVE UK, can reclaim 28 pence from the IRS helping your donation go further. This is known as Gift Aid. To qualify for Gift Aid, the income tax or capital gains tax you pay must at least equal the amount we will claim in the tax year. To Gift Aid donations, please ensure that the tax receipt status in your profile is set to UK Tax Payer. Otherwise, login and modify your profile accordingly. When you make a donation, you will be asked whether you would like to GiftAid the donation or not. If you choose yes, we will claim GiftAid on your behalf.