Apnalaya runs an initiative to address the issue of maternal, new-born and child healthcare and nutrition in 8 slums in Shivaji Nagar, Govandi in the M/E ward of Mumbai Municipal Corporation. This region is also the largest garbage-dumping zone in the city, which is proving to be a health hazard to the people, especially infants and children living in slums in that area.
According to Government statistics, this area has a population of 806,433 of which 77.54% of the population in this area is living in slums and has the lowest life expectancy rate at 40 years as per the Mumbai Human Development Report 2009.
How It Works
• Many women work as rag pickers on the dumping ground.
• Unfortunately Government schemes and primary health care including maternal and reproductive health care services have been inadequate and ineffective due to lack of manpower and very little is being done to address the crisis.
• There are no maternity homes for a population of 6 lakh in Shivaji Nagar.
• There are merely 3 health posts and 1 Urban Health Center that are functioning in the area, none of which provide in-patient services.
• Since many of the slums the NGO works in are considered un-authorized, the health posts do not cover those areas.
• Inadequate workman skills, shortage of equipment and poor supervision, not to mention the unavailability of female doctors severely diminish the program's potential impact.
• The Apnalaya volunteers are working towards improving the state of Healthcare and Nutrition by addressing and trying to find solutions to all of these problems.
|Donation Option||Break-up cost in INR|
|Salary of the doctors and staff||1300.00|
|Medicines electricity, water, traveling, Xerox & stationary, etc.||700.00|
You will receive a feedback report in 4-6 months
While giving is best done as an act of pure human love, we appreciate that tax benefits will help you stretch your contributions even further. Contributions to this donation option are eligible for the following tax benefits:
For Indian Tax Payers: u/s 80G of the IT Act up to 50% of your donation is deductible/u/s 35AC of the IT Act (only specified projects) 100% of your donation is deductible from your income/u/s 35(i)(ii) of the IT Act (only specified projects) 125% of your donation is deductible from your business income, and 100% of your donation is deductible from salary income.
For US Taxpayers: US Tax Payers will receive a 501(c)(3) tax receipt for their donation. Please ensure that the tax receipt field in your profile is set to US Tax Payer. Otherwise, login and modify your profile accordingly.
For UK Taxpayers:If you are a UK taxpayer, for every pound that you donate, our UK arm - GIVE UK, can reclaim 28 pence from the IRS helping your donation go further. This is known as Gift Aid. To qualify for Gift Aid, the income tax or capital gains tax you pay must at least equal the amount we will claim in the tax year. To Gift Aid donations, please ensure that the tax receipt status in your profile is set to UK Tax Payer. Otherwise, login and modify your profile accordingly. When you make a donation, you will be asked whether you would like to GiftAid the donation or not. If you choose yes, we will claim GiftAid on your behalf.